Sunday, June 28, 2009

350 pounds and growing

"I'll have the feelin' puhleeze", and " I'll have the 12 pack of Cheeikan" were the words I heard all day today. Well, that's not entirely true, in the morning I heard things like "I'll have two sausage and bacon Beeiscuts, puhleeze".

Most of these people weighed about 350 pounds, well, maybe some weighed about 300 but you git the jist.

Where on earth was I to hear that stuff all day? Oh, I was at the local grocery store deli. I got hired yesterday and started work today. Pay and hours aren't bad, busy atmosphere, the day mostly whizzed by. I was given an hour-long lunch break. In the morning I wondered just what would I do for a whole hour, but after working for 6 hours I was more than ready for an hour to chill out and get off my poor screaming feet.

The deli served breakfast and lunch, all fatty stuff, fried stuff, eggs, sausage patties, the greasiest bacon I've ever seen, and lunch was fried chicken, chicken filling, or, as the locals call it, 'feelin'. I had to quench the urge to say something like, "feelin? you ain't gettin' no feelin here, I don't feel people!" And "You really don't need to eat fried food, how about some green beans?"

But the customer is always right, go ahead, eat yourself to death. At least I have something to do now. And I'm getting paid for it! That's always a good perk.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, god. You are in fried food hell, aren't you.

    Poor thing, having to watch people kill themselves all day long. It's godawful, what some people will stuff down thier gullets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayuh, but they shore iz a hayuppy bunch of folks! I've been home for hours and still have the stink of grease in my nose!

    How 'bout some more salad, cuz? (And, of course, a glass of wine!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're pretty close to Mississippi and Alabama, the current two most fat states in the US...better make that a diet coke to go with the chicken when you take lunch break.

    ReplyDelete