Monday, June 1, 2009

Another day at the nursing home

Well, yesterday marked the end of one phase and the beginning of a new one. Sort of, kind of I guess..

Ok, well, the funeral stuff is all arranged, I wish it was tomorrow and not the day AFTER tomorrow. Just want to get it done.

Yeah! I can sleep now with both ears closed, not wonder if tonight will be the night-of-the-fatal-phone-call. So why am I awake? SHEESH!

I took the wheel chair back this morning, guess I'm not ready to use it myself and I was tired of looking at it anyway. I'm glad the nursing home thing is over. Yesterday an old man caught my attention, calling to me and holding his hand out. Dumb dumb here reached out towards him and he lunged for me and grabbed my wrists, pulling me in towards me. Aw geez, old man, don't make me slug you, he had a grip that was strong enough to almost drop me to my knees. (And I'm not going to my knees for any old dirt bag, let me tell you!)

I pried myself loose, I didn't care if I had to walk away with out anything past my wrists, let the old geezer have my hands, but LET ME GO! Dirty old slob, that'll learn me to reach out to some old fart that looks weak. I said something to the nurse, she said no woman there dares get too close to him unless they know he's sleeping. Good grief. Bless his heart...

I went out to the patio as I waited for Maternal Figure to become an angel or what-ever, and I heard one of the nurses talking, no, gossiping about another. "She shore is fond of being late for work, bless her heart," one said. Another said, "Yay-ya, and she shore is puttin' on, Bless her heart". (Gaining weight, is what 'puttin' on' means). Bless their hearts...

Ok, I couldn't stand it anymore, what's up with this gossip followed by 'bless her heart' anyway?
The ladies giggled and snickered. Come to find out, an insult or gossip followed by 'bless her heart' makes the bad talk ok. After all, asking for some kind of blessing is a good thing, right?

Yeah, but, (I can't leave stuff alone, had to push the parameter), I heard someone say my Mother is SO sweet, bless her heart..... So do you say Bless her heart no matter what or is my Mother really not such a sweet thing after all? They giggled, and said, "Oh, bless your heart".

So I guess bless your/her/his heart is just an ending, like a period. "That guy's a jerk. Period". Or, said in southern-ese, "That guy's a jerk, bless his heart".

So, Y'all have a goodun, C'mon back now, ya hear? Bless your heart.

3 comments:

  1. ahh, yes. Bless his/her heart is a famous southern saying. Glad to hear yore a-pickin' up on summa them more useful verbal code words. :-)

    Maybe they oughta hook your dirty old man with the lady who always wants to go home (Rhonda? the one who tried to pull Miss LaDonna outta her bed?) She's a pistol. They might go great together. Bless their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is done then, huh?

    Still awake because of all the stuff still to do yet. I hope you keep your blog, you are an excellent writer.

    RIP, bless her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, Miss Betty, lookin' fer Rhonda, bless her heart.. I think Miss Betty can pull harder than the horney old man!! Bless his dirty ol heart :)

    Yeah, I'll keep the blog, life is too funny ('specially down here in the boonies) to NOT find something to write about.

    Bless mah heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete