Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Playing Tag

Cricket and Lady, this is my '10th' pic in my documents. I rescued Cricket first, she's the paint on the left. Sweet, sweet horse, about 10 years old, good rider, really nice horse. When I brought her home she was starved to bone, no, really, she was skin and bones. I had never seen such a skinny horse until I met Lady, the one on the right.

It turned out that Cricket and Lady were stable mates in their other life, they knew each other and were glad to be back together. After kissing and nickering to each other, Lady fell into the leadership role she obviously played before she came to me. She (Lady) is a pure Mustang, complete with the tattoo showing that she was rounded up from the wild somewhere out west.

Lady was also a sweet horse, I think she was a barrel racer or perhaps a roping horse in her other life, when I got on her for the first ride she went right to work, looking for something to go around or round up. Once I got her settled down into 'gentle riding horse' mode, she became a true pleasure to ride. It was hard to decide who to ride, they were both so willing and gentle.

I fed them as much grain and hay as they wanted and each put on the additional 100 or so pounds they needed to be normal looking again. I sold them to a young couple with small children. When they came to look at the horses the decision to buy was an easy one for them. Lady took to the young wife very well and the husband fell in love with Cricket. Job well done, the horses survived a year of so of starvation, learned to trust people again and now have a great home. That's my 10th picture and I'm sticking to it! Who's next?

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet story. I hate people who starve horses, and are cruel to animals. I want to hurt them, badly. I hope they come back in another life as cockroaches in a luxury apartment, so they'd be dealt with accordingly. Fuckers.

    The world needs more people like you. Sorry I said the "eff" word on your blog.

    ReplyDelete