Friday, February 20, 2009

Life saving book

Well, I actually found time to read a WHOLE book, yeah! The whole durn thing! Ok, so I didn't include all the details.. I stayed up until midnight speed reading it because I borrowed it and had to return it the next day.

But that book was good enough that it's on my list of things to buy, after I get done with the three other books I bought per the author's recommendation.

The book is called 'Elder Rage, or Take my Father, Please'. And, boy oh boy, her father NEEDED to be taken, maybe to the highest cliff.... but I digress. Her story (true) is written from the anguish she felt that she could only cope with by dropping buckets of humor into it.

I don't feel so bad about being humorous about my Mother now. (Yesterday I was looking for a cliff, too).

Like me, Jacqueline (the author) dropped her career to take care of her parents. And I thought I was the only nut on earth.... Her father was manipulative, (like Mom), angry, (like Mom), had mental issues, (like Mom) and she, like me, went into her endeavour empty handed.

What to do with the money, durable power of attorney, medical questions, arguing with doctors that only saw the sweet side of her father, (hey, that sounds familiar!), where to find help, support, information, and, of course, the problem of changing gears from busy and productive to diapers and decible 16 TV's.

Her book is a MUST READ for anyone that has parents, healthy or not, it's a good look at what could be in the future and a great way to prepare for the multi-layered tangle of all the above mentioned and more.

I have ordered three more books that I found in her extensive list of recommendations. Some more midnight speed read nights on the way!!

3 comments:

  1. excellent review by a most perceptive reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and anyone who disagrees can go jump in a lake. or kiss my rosy flat butt. cuz i'm gittin all my anger issues outtaduhway before i become old enough to inspire a righteous case of elder rage in wunna my offspring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thank-ye, thank-ye, O rosy flat one. I've decided that I'll NEVER impose my grouchy old self on my kids, cuz this experience teaches me that just when you think you're past 'old' stuff, it creeps back in and slaps the stuffin's outta ya. Diffenrence this time? I'm slappin back, big time!!!!! Big breath, DD, big breath!!!!

    ReplyDelete