Sunday, February 8, 2009

WAIT!!!!

"Are you awake?" I ignored the call, it was 3:30 in the morning and she can get her own self to the bathroom and, as far as I was concerned, the kitchen was closed. I heard no more as I drifted back to the most peaceful and wonderful sleep I had the pleasure of enjoying in many-a-night.

"Are you awake?" The second time I heard that question I mumbled something akin to 'mmmmm' and rolled over. "I want to go outside" was the next statement coming from across the room. The tone was a cross between petulant and demanding. "Ok, I'm getting up". I heard the cane bump the table, Oh NO! She's getting up and I'm not ready!

Wait! Let me get my glasses! No, WAIT, the door is this way! Coffee? No, I'm just getting up! Slow down, don't run! WAIT, let me get the door open! OH, the rocking chair is this way! Coffee? I'm going to fix it now, remember, I JUST GOT UP!!

Hey, give me those matches, no matches in the house! Where did you get those matches, what happened to your lighter?

Turns out she fumbled about the house while I slept. How does a crippled old blind lady find her way around the house and I don't hear her? Oh, yeah, I was engaging in the most wonderful and peaceful sleep I had experienced in many-a-night.

Coffee? Yes, yes, as soon as I get you IN the rocking chair and not off the end of the porch, the first step would be a biggie! Yes, the chair is this way. Ok, I'll get you some coffee. Here's a new lighter, give me the matches. She answered "yes, Mommy". Good grief!

Once I got the matches out of her grubby little hands and coffee into them, the time on the porch was wonderful. Seems the song birds took the night express into town and they were all announcing their arrival with vigor only heard in spring. The Crows, mourning doves, bluebirds, chicka-dee's and finches all sang 'good morning' to us and thus started the day.

3 comments:

  1. You are a GREAT writer! I love this line, "the songbirds took the night express to town..."

    Hilarious story, too. I can only imagine. I can just hear you fussing and the old lady sniping back with "yes mommy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story... I took care of someone like that for a year. It was not easy, and I literally still have the scars to prove it.

    I have great admiration for those that can do it long term. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 special needs kids of my own .... so I'm sort of doing similar work! Lots of caretaking! It's not easy, but I think the work you're doing is sacred! Keep writing! I've added you to my googlereader so I can follow your stories.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete